COVID-19 has proven not just detrimental to the American family as it has taken lives, it has terminated jobs, depleted the economy, made many question business values and has many of us wondering, “Can they really do that?”
You have rights in the workforce, as a business owner, and as an American citizen. Right now, we are seeing a surge of class action lawsuits across the nation as a result of COVID-19. If you have a claim for any of the following, do not wait to contact us. There is power in numbers and we want to help you seek the compensation you deserve.
COVID-19 Class Action Lawsuits
The three most common class action lawsuits pertaining to COVID-19 have fallen in the categories of consumer, employee, and shareholder class actions. In addition, some business owners are binding together to file class action lawsuits against their home states for unlawful closure of businesses. Right now, we are working with lawyers across the nation to handle your class action lawsuit questions and needs.
Consumer Class Action
In a consumer class action lawsuit, one or more individuals sue an entity based on the same account of wrongdoing. These lawsuits are critical when seeking a remedy against an organization when the damages suffered by one individual are too small for independent litigation. A class action lawsuit can include actions such as fraud, deceptive and/or unfair trade dealings, unreasonable debt collection practices or violations of consumer protection and privacy laws.
Such consumer class action lawsuits which have been perpetrated as a result of COVID-19 include claims against:
- Ticket event sellers
- Wildlife outdoor services
- Colleges, universities, and other educational institutions
- Fitness clubs
- Sanitizer creators
- Tour groups
- Music Festivals
- Online retailers
Employee Class Action
Employee class action lawsuits are those which involve numerous employees who share a common complaint against a single employer. These suits work to gain damages for the entire group rather than a single employee.
Such employee class action lawsuits may include failure to pay employees overtime.
Right now, employee class action lawsuits are being filed as a result of COVID-19 for the following reasons:
- Unemployment benefits for truck drivers and shared-ride drivers
- Failure to follow social distancing mandates
- Failure to allow employees to work remotely
- Failure to modify workspaces for safety
- Failure to provide personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Failure to follow CDC guidelines regarding the number of employees in one space
Right now, there is great potential for more class action suits to come through. These include:
- Failure to notify employees of company and plant closures as per WARN Act guidelines
- Wage and hour claims
- Failure to follow and provide appropriate safety measures
- The Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) claims for pension plan payouts
- Medical privacy claims
- Layoffs and furlough disputes as per discriminatory actions
Shareholder Class Action
When shareholders feel that they have been duped by the company which they have bought into, especially if it is out of negligence, oversharing or failure to comply, those shareholders may seek legal action. Shareholder class action suits being filed now include:
- Failure to comply with the Code of Ethical business conduct as it pertains to COVID-19 information
- Capitalizing on people’s fears of COVID-19
While this is just a sample of the class action suits that have come forward in recent weeks, there are bound to be more. Rights have been violated, hard-working people have been taken advantage of, and constitutional guarantees have been put into question.
I have a group ready to begin a class action lawsuit? What do we do?
There is power in numbers, let us handle your COVID-19 class action lawsuits. Contact us today. We are working with lawyers across the country who are ready to fight for your rights.